Friday, June 15, 2007

Herbert Glacier




A few days ago i was able to hike out to Herbert Glacier. This glacier is about 14 miles from downtown Juneau. This hike was my favorite yet. I went with 3 of my co-workers (LU, Curtis and Justin), as we were pulling up we saw a black bear running in to the woods, that was pretty cool. So the trail starts out really easy and then once we got close to the glacier it was pretty crazy. We were on some really rough terrain. We had to hike over a ton of huge boulders. I got some really nice pictures, we found some more ice caves, one that was huge and too steep to go in. The last photo is the ice cave in the back round and it is really dark and deep. I really wanted to explore in it though. We didn't get to go right up to it because we were on the wrong side of the glacier run-off, which is basically a rushing river. We couldn't cross the river because it was too crazy. So we are going to do it again and start on the other side of the run-off. Most of the glaciers around here are receding 70 feet per year, but the past few years it has been over 100 ft per year. I have been told stories (and been shown) of how much bigger the glaciers use to be by natives here. The hike was really challenging and fun. My co workers and i had a great time together. The sights are stunning and i really feel like i am falling in love with the landscape here. It feels like i have cravings to see the beautiful forest and mountains and everything around. I am connecting with it all.

Wish i had more time to write, gotta go
the Mountains are calling my name

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi brett.
dj and janelle here, think you look pretty hot up there. hot as in attractive, weather looks cool.
hope yer having fun, bud.