Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wedding Cake





Hey there. So i have been really actually crazy busy with work. The other bartender from the tram (mt Roberts) is in Chicago for 10 days for a wedding. That means i am picking up more hours and working at Doc Waters as well. Monday i had a 16 hour day and Thursday i will have another 16 hour day. Once she gets back from Chicago i will be able to slow down, for now the cash is flowing. I did however finagle yesterday off, only for a very important reason:

So a few weeks ago i was out for drinks (at the Alaskan of course) with my coworkers from the tram. Keep in mind I have only known these coworkers for a months and a half now. Two of them that i was with are a traveling couple, they have literally traveled everywhere. Lu Anne (an Aussie) and Curtis (from NJ) are really great. They tell me that they are getting married in a few weeks. I tell them how great that is and i am so happy for them. They mention its going to be a small wedding with some family and friends flying in to Juneau. They also mention they don't have a wedding cake yet and are looking for someone to bake them a cake (they were thinking of maybe a friend doing it). I think to myself, well shit i would love to bake you your wedding cake, I'd be honored! So i purposed and it went from there. She told me she wanted a carrot cake, easy enough. So i found a recipe and she gave it a trial run and we went with it. So yesterday i had to get off so i could bake the wedding cake and get to their reception.

Everything went okay baking the cake. I didn't have measuring spoons to use so i improvised and used my eyes. I did have 1 huge 2 cup measuring cup, that was it though. I spent the entire afternoon baking this cake (3 cakes actually). I did think to myself(in the midst of it) I have never in my life baked a carrot cake before. He he. It's not rocket science, its cake.

I wanted to use 9X9 pans which is what the recipe called for, but the grocery store was out. So i was forced to use 8" round. This lead to the sides hanging off a little bit, to make sure the top cake didn't break in half i (again improvising) cut little pillars out of a banana and stuck them in there. I garnished it with walnuts and carrot slices and picked wild flowers for the top; i picked a bunch to try some different ones out. Some of them weren't as wild as others (shimel's garden, he he). In the end i went with a purple iris.
They got married out on this peninsula at the Shrine of St. Theresa and rented a nice little lodge to sleep in and have the reception.

Here is the recipe i used, i did change some things, used brown sugar instead of white and put way less sugar than it called for. I added honey and golden raisins also.

The cake turned out great!! I had compliments by the majority and Lu and Curtis gave me a nice card and a bottle of Chardonnay. They were very appreciative. I was very happy and honored to do this for them. It felt really good to bake some good friends their wedding cake. We work together quite a bit and have become good friends.

I think they got some better photos, i will get those and post them up.

I work an absurd amount the next few days but have Saturday off and i am sure i am going to do something fun then. Probably a hike.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I want to see a picture with the wild flowers on it.