Thursday, June 7, 2007

Preserverence Trail





Today i had the day off. I have been wanting to hit some more hiking trails but most of the fun ones have too much snow on them still. Mount Jumbo and mount Juneau both have too much snow on them. So i decided to hike the Preserverence trail. Here is my route The Perseverance Trail is the former road/trail taken by miners working the Silverbow Basin Gold mine. This was a really nice easy hike. I got rained on the whole time and was somewhat cold by the end of it. It was about 50 degrees out and when your totally soaked that gets pretty cold. The area that the trail brings you to is where the city of Juneau gets its drinking water. The water is all glacier run off. The trail is basically on the inside of a horseshoe shaped mountain side. So when you get to the end there are just mountains everywhere except behind you. Really beautiful. There was a lot of fog and the clouds were pretty low. I got some good photos despite the rain. I didn't see any wildlife which was disappointing but thats how it goes. I kept my eyes out for mountain goats, i am told a lot of times you can just stare at a mountain for a bit and pick them out standing on ridges and clearings. There are supposed to be a lot of bears on the hike to the top of mount Juneau so i will see some then.

Also, I had been playing with the idea of picking up a second job...so last night i decided to grab some late night food at Doc Water's pub, i asked them if they were hiring, they said yes...and this morning i went in and got a job. Bar tending and serving, heck yea. This does mean i will be working a ton, but what ev. The staff seems really cool, better than at my other job. One of the managers is from Duluth and she knows people from MN work hard, definitely harder than the people from Juneau. Maybe thats why she hired me.

No comments: