Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A few days ago i spent the afternoon and evening riding around about 1/3 of L.A. It is absolutly huge and spread out. The urban sprawl is rediculous. I rode from Redondo Beach where Nick and Claire live to Venice beach and then on past Santa Monica and around Santa Monica for a while, then got lost (i had no map) and found my way home in the dark. I had my compass and the ocean so it wasn't too bad. My first stop was Venice Beach, which is known for its wierd sidewalk shows and shops. I stopped for an Eggplant sandwhich and a few Kona Longboard beers (brewed in HI). I also saw this crazy guy jump in a pile of glass he had collected for a show. He stomped around in it for a little while. I could not stop laughing it was so stupid. From there i rode north to Santa Monica and stoped in a bike shop for a bit. It was a beautiful 78 degree day.

Check out the map. I got lost for a bit in the Marina Del Ray area...but estimate my trip at minimum 50 miles. (1 gear)

View Larger Map


I have finally got some good writing time and reading time in, which was a goal for me for this trip.

I have a pretty good story to tell once i get some more time to write about my first experience in downtown L.A. and the terrible areas of South Central.

Now i am staying with my aunt Kyran and 2 cousins Jeremy and Elliott. It is really nice to spend time with them, i hardly ever get to see them. They have a really nice house in Laguna Nigel south of L.A. a bit. This morning Kyran made us the best breakfast ever. Huevos Rancheros...yumm. I am so lucky to have wonderful family.

After this i PLAN on getting to San Fran and possibly Santa Cruz which i hear is really cool.

Then more camping and surfing.

I'll post more photo's soon

All for now

No comments: