Monday, January 14, 2008

Some other favorite stuff i forgot about was my hike through the sand dunes in death valley. I have wanted to really know what it is like to hike through a total desert with only sand dunes. We had seen plenty of desert both the Mojave desert and the colorado desert but they all have brush and some smaller trees (joshua trees). So in a few places out here there are spots with primarily sand dunes. We found one and i took about an hour hike to the tallest peak out there. I thought it was really cool. I saw scorpion tracks, desert rat tracks and a lot of very fine sand. You really have to be careful when you get out there, with no land marks and only sand they say to have topo maps. Of course i didn't have those but i did have my compass which was plenty for my quick hike. When i got to the highest peak there were a bunch of kids that brought boogie boards and snow boards out there to take down the steep sand slopes. it was pretty cool watching them. It was really cool to see nothing but sand dunes all around you. I liked that alot.





No comments: