Thursday, May 24, 2007




My first day off since i got here went really well. I worked harder than i do when at work but that's life. Work hard, play harder i guess. Nick and i went to mendenhall glacier in the afternoon. We took a trail out to it and it was about an hour hike each way. It was nice to get out for my first Alaskan hike. We were actually able to go right up to the glacier and touch it. Everyday 13,000 people get off cruise ships in Juneau and pay $20 to take a bus ride to a viewing dock 1/2 mile away from the glacier to take pictures of it. If only they knew they could spend $1.50 on a city bus and then hike a for an hour and touch the glacier. hehe. So the glacier kind of empties in to a lake but where the glacier meets the rocks on the shore there were ice caves going under the glacier. They don't go too deep but we were able to get in one. The clear blue color from this glacier was amazing. The deeper the ice the deeper the blue. I got some decent pictures but they don't do it justice. You can see these pictures here.

After the hike i decided to get to work on my house (campsite). I worked for a long time on it. I have a 4 palate floor and it is off the ground! The hardware store gave me nails for free and i borrowed a hammer. Haha heck yea. I did buy some tarps though, but they were cheap. I was really sick of hauling palates and wood up the side of a mountain. I basically have water-side property though. I can see the channel from my site. I tried mooning a cruise ship as it went by but i am sure they didn't see me. I am really tired, building this crap by yourself is very frustrating, there's no one else to hold the other end or just have a second pair of hands. I am really proud of myself though, i finished it, and the floor is pretty even. It's pretty sturdy and i am sure it will hold for the summer. I washed some clothes after that and am drinking a much needed Black Butte Porter at my favorite pub The Alaskan. I am really tired and am going home to my site. good night

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love reading about your adventures Brett! I'm very excited for you!

Brooke

Anonymous said...

Dear,Brett 5-24-07

Brett,[Bridget here] it's nice to know how you are doing. I think that was you on the TV mooning the ship!!! Just kidding!! haha! Did you find your cat that 86 you in Alaska? I was kidding!! When you get a chance to write.We can talk more since I'm getting out of school.How is life under the stars? That's all we have to say from the Baker's.

From,
Ken and Heidi Kyndra and Bridget
and Brianna

Anonymous said...

Brett, you look like a lumberjack with those clothes on.

check it out
http://www.paulbunyantrail.com/talltale.html

Anonymous said...

Brett...I am so jelous. I want to be living in a tent for the summer overlooking an Alaskan bay. If I had the dinero I would love to make it to the house warming party.

Things here are good. Im only working 3 days a week, which gives me a lot of freetime for personal interests.

keep the posts coming, theyre very interesting.

Take care,

John

Anonymous said...

Hello, goodbye